What is Copywriting and What is a Copywriter?
Webster’s Dictionary does not recognize copywriting, however, it defines a copywriter as: a writer of advertising or publicity copy. This type of writing uses language to communicate a brand’s story and values. It is also used to inform prospective clients about the brand’s products or services in a compelling way that leads to conversions (aka sales). Copywriting is selling through language with the right words and tone to influence decision-making.
Writing services can span from brand creation to full marketing campaigns to single-use copy. The copywriting portion of building a brand identity is a critical way to help a brand find its voice. Full marketing campaigns rely on writing services to relay a consistent, clear message across various media channels. And single-use copy could be something as simple as writing a blog article or providing expertise on a certain subject.
Copywriting for Conversions
Copywriting for conversions has a very explicit goal: to make a potential client take the next step toward a purchase. The goal might be getting a reader to take the first step to a conversion. This might simply be clicking on a call-to-action button or leaving an email address. These initial steps lead to further actions that begin to create a relationship and move toward a sale.
The copy on a website, blog, app, or other product is trying to create a conversion through simple, easy-to-understand content that educates the reader to a product’s benefits, and lets the reader understand how it’s important and impactful to his or her life.
6 Tips to Improve Conversions
So how do we get from great writing to the sale? The following steps help create a clear path to greater ROI in copywriting
- Create user personas. User personas are used to think about the product from a client perspective. What does the client want? What are his or her goals and how can the product benefit them? Once this is determined, it becomes easier to engage with potential clients.
- Don’t be afraid to use tried and true marketing tactics. Give readers something for free. Valuable Information that is free of charge will go a long way toward customer loyalty and establishing expertise.
- Write a great headline. Your intro headline should grab the reader and hold his or her attention. It should make the reader want to keep reading. A boring email or social media headline will end in a reader’s email trash, unopened, scrolled over without stopping, whereas a smart, clear and concise headline will have far greater impact. Keywords are also important for SEO and should be used in headlines to optimize search capabilities.
- Write clear, easy-to-follow calls-to-action (CTAs) so readers know exactly what to do.
- Improve click-through rates on advertising with attention-grabbing copy. You might try to do some A/B testing to see which headlines grab the most attention and also stay true to a brand’s values and messaging.
- Focus on the benefit to the client. Don’t waste your readers’ time talking about the product itself for too long; talk about how it can BENEFIT your readers. Remember it’s not about you or your product, it’s about solving your reader’s problem.
While these 6 suggestions should go a long way toward improving conversions, no one step can stand on its own and there’s no hard-fast rule to say that these are the only ways to create conversions. Copy is an integral part of brand communication, strategy and marketing. Great communication will only benefit your brand through greater connections that develop into conversions.
As a case in point, Pixel506’s unique strategy helped catapult MWE Legal to the #1 Global Legal Website for 2020 from AM Law Global Website Report. Pixel506 and MWE chose to focus on the attorneys working for the firm, placing them at the center of the website. This approach created a feeling of trust, intimacy, and personalization within the complex legal system. Read more about the strategy here.
Pixel506’s Copywriting Services
Pixel506 is an end-to-end solutions company that offers a full range of copywriting services that can help improve your conversions. Get in touch today to learn more about how the power of the right words can help your business thrive!
- A copywriter uses language to communicate a brand’s story and values, and to inform prospective clients about the brand’s products in a compelling way that can lead to conversions or sales.
- Copy services can span from brand creation to full marketing campaigns to single-use copy.
- Copywriting for conversions has a very explicit goal: to make a potential client take the next step toward a purchase.
- User personas, marketing campaigns, great headlines, simple and easy-to-understand calls-to-action, improved click-through rates and always remembering to focus on the benefits to the client are sure-fire ways to help improve conversions.